The treatment of blacks South Africans in South Africa in the 1930s and 1940s

The black South Africa was treated as second-class citizens during 1930s and 1940s because of the whites believe like white supremacy. The government passed many laws, which made life harder for the black people. The black had restriction when it came to voting. The blacks had the worst and the low pay jobs. They had only 7.3 percent of land. While the whites had 92.3 percent. There was also the 2nd world war.

After 1924, a coalition government led by Hertzog ran South Africa. Hertzog want to protect the white South Africans, Hertzog made English and Dutch the official languages. Hertzog believed in white supremacy to protect the whites from any threat of blacks, a law called the ‘Colour Bar Act’ was passed in 1926. This law stopped blacks from doing skilled or semi-skilled jobs.

We Will Write a Custom Essay Specifically
For You For Only $13.90/page!


order now

There were also other laws passed, in 1923 the ‘Native Land Act’ this law gave the blacks 7.3percent of land, but this land could not provide enough food or work for all 4 million blacks. The whites were given the rest of the land 92.7 percent. There were other laws; in 1927 ‘Immorality Act’ was passed. This law stopped any sexual intercourse between whites and non-whites. This was a way to make sure the whites race stay pure.

During the 1930s the government made sure the white voters were in control by giving white women the vote over 21 to vote. In 1936 the blacks lost there vote in the Cape, instead they were only given the choice of electing 3 white representatives under a separate systems.

Due to such laws like 1913 ‘Native Land Act’ black people had to go work for the whites, because the land that was given to the blacks could afford to give them work or food for all. Cause of the 1913 ‘Native Land Act’ made sure, blacks had to go work for the whites, to earn a living. This guaranteed cheap labour for white farmers and mine-owners. This was the intension of the white government. Also there was the 1925 poll tax every black person had to pay between the age of 18-65, this was another way to make sure the blacks worked for whites. Because blacks were not allowed to do semi-skilled or skilled there wages were very low. Because their wages were very low they couldn’t afford to live in proper houses and had to go live in Shanty towns.

The role of 125,000 blacks in the war was to be drivers, labours, and servants and to carry guns. Meanwhile in South Africa, for the people living the cities life was getting better, cause the government had to relax pass laws, such as the ‘Colour Bar Act’. Because so man whites of fighting, the black kept the South Africa industries going during the war, more blacks were needed to work in the mines and factories. While in the countryside things were still bad for the blacks, the population was rising and years of drought cause widespread of starvation during the 1942 and 1943. Also white farmers need less workers cause of the greater use of machinery.

In 1941 President Roosevelt of America and Winston Churchill prime Minster of Britain issue a document called the “Atlantic Charter”. The charter stated the allies are fighting to save freedom; democracy, peace and said people had the right the right to choose their government. This gave black hopes to turn reality. Soon after the second world war ended the situation hadn’t improve significantly.

The African National Congress (ANC) was a black political organisation. During the war, new members joined including Nelson Mandela, Oliver Tambo and etc. they set up a youth league, that threaten the government. In 1943 the ANC published “Africans Clams” which showed how clear it want to get freedom, democracy and equality, but the government ignored it. In 1944 there were many demonstrations led by ANC against pass laws. In 1946 blacks mine workers went on strike for higher wages, the strike was broken by force. Six died and 400 injured.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

x

Hi!
I'm Sam!

Would you like to get a custom essay? How about receiving a customized one?

Check it out